February 13, 2009

Glorious History of Victor School, Jalandhar Cantt

Victor School ( Now known as N.D. Victor School ), Jalandhar Cantt is one of the oldest schools in Jalandhar.It was started in 1889 by the residents of Jalandhar Cantt in place of one Mission School which had closed down in that year.

Victor School was named to commemorate the visit to India by British Prince Albert Victor ( grand son of Queen Victoria ) . It became a High School in 1900

Around 1904 there were about 300 students on its rolls and 18 teachers. The total annual budget of the school at that time was Rs.3960/-. ( Fees total Rs.2450/-, Provincial Funds Rs.817/-, Donations Rs.693/-)

Lala Narain Das, B.A. L.L.B. Pleader was Victor School's chief supporter ( He , also , started a girls school in 1899 in Jalandhar Cantt). In recognition of the services rendered by Lala Narain Das to Victor School the school has, now, been named N.D. VICTOR SCHOOL.

No comments: